As school board trustees we will
advocate for the following:
- We will defend the rights of all teachers, staff, and students protected under the US Constitution which include:
- Freedom of peaceful assembly.
- Freedom of speech.
- Freedom of conscience and religion.
- We will end the abhorrent practice of segregated clubs, training sessions, school dances, graduation ceremonies, or parent meetings based on participant race or ethnicity.
- As school board trustees we believe that the physical safety of students and staff in school is of paramount importance. For this reason, we will support School Resource Officer (SRO) programs and policies that will not deter school staff from calling the police as needed to deal with extreme behavioral issues in the classroom.
- We will not reject the notion that any failure to affirm student's self-declared identities "causes harm". On the contrary, it may well be in their best long-term interest.
- We will advocate that “safe spaces” be re-defined following the ideas of the Moral Courage College as places where students should be free from immediate judgment… not from challenging viewpoints.
Former US President Obama talks about the dangers of "Safe Spaces".
Irshad Manji, founder of the Moral Courage College working with highschool students shares her thoughts on "safe spaces".
Van Jones on the dangers of "Safe Spaces".